Welcome to Episode 011 of the Ministry Hangout podcast. Listen and access the show notes below or search for Ministry Hangout on iTunes or wherever you get your podcasts.
Larry Brey is a Campus Pastor at Elevation Church in Charlotte, NC. Larry was a part of the original group that started Elevation Church over 10 years ago and has held nine different job titles since then. In this episode, he shares principles to learn from Elevation’s practices and what he’s learned through the years. He covers identifying leaders, getting more volunteers, building culture, and more.
Insights From This Episode
- The field for leaders is your volunteer culture.
When it comes to building up leaders, learn to choose people who are able to demonstrate certain traits. Larry looks for passion, teachability, and the capacity to speak into other people’s lives.
- Don’t build a leadership structure that’s devoid of your pastor’s heart.
What are the traits and values the pastor exhibits that you need to reproduce in your culture? Larry calls that the “secret sauce.”
Quotes From This Episode
- One-sided honor really isn’t honor. I can’t honor higher up than how far I honor down. [Click to tweet]
- A healthy culture honors the guests and honors the pastor because I’m honoring all around me – those above me, those alongside me, those entrusted to my care. [Click to tweet]
- The goal of a leader is, after a few years of being under their leadership, that person got better as child of God, parent, and employee. The biggest mistake is putting people in place who can’t do that. [Click to tweet]
About Ministry Hangout
Greg Surratt, founder and pastor of Seacoast Church in South Carolina was regularly having conversations with ministry leaders when he realized that these discussions could provide value to more than just him. Thus, Ministry Hangout was born. Our simple mission to share conversations that matter. We’ll discuss a little bit of everything from lessons learned from churches doing something really well to the nitty gritty of how to develop leaders on your staff to how to use social media for your church to how to foster worship leader development. We want to cover it all and have more conversations that matter.
Subscribe for free on iTunes and never miss an episode featuring pastors and leaders who will inspire you, share ideas and strategies, and encourage you in leading the church.
Was this insanely practical content helpful to you? Rate this podcast.
Our prayer is that this episode will help you grow and be more effective in the ministry God has called you to lead. Visit ChurchFuel.com for more practical resources plus coaching and training for pastors and church staff.
When you rate and review the Ministry Hangout podcast on iTunes, it helps the podcast reach more pastors and leaders with encouragement and tips for their church.