Welcome to Episode 013 of the Ministry Hangout podcast. Listen and access the show notes below or search for Ministry Hangout on iTunes or wherever you get your podcasts.
In this episode, we hear from Tony Morgan in a rich discussion on how to clear barriers that will help your church get past stuck and on to growing. Tony Morgan is the Founder and Lead Strategist of The Unstuck Group. He’s been on leadership across several different churches and has written for the Willow Creek Association, Catalyst, and Pastors.com.
- Website: The Unstuck Group
- eBook: Vital Signs by Tony Morgan (includes a PDF to measure your church health).
- Book: The Unstuck Book by Tony Morgan (includes a free church assessment).
Takeaways From This Episode
- You need a vision AND a strategy for your church.
Ask yourself and your church these 3 questions: Why do we exist? Where are we going? And how are we going to get there? The answers to these questions will be your mission, vision, and strategy. You need all three of these to keep your church on the path to growth. If you already have a vision, that’s a great first step, but your church needs to know HOW you’re going to get there. Clarity is key here.
- Once you have your vision and strategy, you need to measure if it’s working.
There is much more to church health than just one metric. While church attendance is important and you want to make sure new people are walking through your doors to hear the message of the gospel, there are many other factors to look at. There are baptisms, salvation conversations, giving, involvement in groups, number of volunteers, etc. Take a look at these things and ask: are we fulfilling God’s mission for our church? If not, it is time to tweak your strategy.
Quotes From This Episode
- Lack of clarity for where the church is going can be a huge growth barrier for churches. [Click to tweet]
- You can’t keep doing the same thing and expect different results. [Click to tweet]
- When your vision is a God vision, it’s going to BOTH attract and repel people. [Click to tweet]
- There is much more to measuring church health than attendance numbers. [Click to tweet]
- As churches, we are responsible for our congregation’s spiritual growth. There needs to be a plan for that. [Click to tweet]
- When your church is healthy, you will naturally reach more people. [Click to tweet]
About Ministry Hangout
Greg Surratt, founder and pastor of Seacoast Church in South Carolina was regularly having conversations with ministry leaders when he realized that these discussions could provide value to more than just him. Thus, Ministry Hangout was born. Our simple mission to share conversations that matter. We’ll discuss a little bit of everything from lessons learned from churches doing something really well to the nitty gritty of how to develop leaders on your staff to how to use social media for your church to how to foster worship leader development. We want to cover it all and have more conversations that matter.
Subscribe for free and never miss an episode featuring pastors and leaders who will inspire you, share ideas and strategies, and encourage you in leading the church.
Was this insanely practical content helpful to you? Rate this podcast.
Our prayer is that this episode will help you grow and be more effective in the ministry God has called you to lead. Visit ChurchFuel.com for more practical resources plus coaching and training for pastors and church staff.
When you rate and review the Ministry Hangout podcast on iTunes, it helps the podcast reach more pastors and leaders with encouragement and tips for their church.