Welcome to Episode 017 of the Ministry Hangout podcast. Listen and access the show notes below or search for Ministry Hangout on iTunes or wherever you get your podcasts.
In this episode, we “talk shop” with Michael Lukaszewski on church leadership. Michael is the founder and CEO of Church Fuel, a company that coaches and trains pastors and church leaders to grow a healthy church. He is passionate about leadership development and has a background as a youth pastor, church planter, senior pastor, and church consultant.
- Book: The Leadership Pipeline
Takeaways From This Episode
- The best place to get leaders is from who’s around you right now.
Every church has leaders—you just have to find them. You have to identify and develop them. Take at least one leader to coffee and start by investing in that one person.
- Volunteers and leaders are different.
It’s important to determine who’s a leader and who’s a volunteer and both roles are very important. Determining it helps prevent boredom (for those who are leaders) and burnout (for those who are volunteers).
Quotes from This Episode
- Every church has potential leaders. If there are no leaders around me, that’s my fault. [Click to tweet]
- Leaders don’t go back to the signup table. They have to be recruited, invited, and developed. [Click to tweet]
- There’s never a perfect time for developing leaders. We do it all the time with the resources we already have. [Click to tweet]
- What’s a burden for me is a blessing to somebody else. As best you can, don’t do anything by yourself—bring somebody with you to train. [Click to tweet]
- A volunteer will move stuff around but a leader will move stuff forward. [Click to tweet]
About Ministry Hangout
Greg Surratt, founder and pastor of Seacoast Church in South Carolina was regularly having conversations with ministry leaders when he realized that these discussions could provide value to more than just him. Thus, Ministry Hangout was born. Our simple mission to share conversations that matter. We’ll discuss a little bit of everything from lessons learned from churches doing something really well to the nitty gritty of how to develop leaders on your staff to how to use social media for your church to how to foster worship leader development. We want to cover it all and have more conversations that matter.
Subscribe for free and never miss an episode featuring pastors and leaders who will inspire you, share ideas and strategies, and encourage you in leading the church.
Was this insanely practical content helpful to you? Rate this podcast.
Our prayer is that this episode will help you grow and be more effective in the ministry God has called you to lead. Visit ChurchFuel.com for more practical resources plus coaching and training for pastors and church staff.
When you rate and review the Ministry Hangout podcast on iTunes, it helps the podcast reach more pastors and leaders with encouragement and tips for their church.